Ghostly Caramel Squares
For the base:
- 50g Oats
- 150g Oat Flour (Oats blitzed in food processor)
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon of milk or dairy free alternative
- 4 blended dates
For the caramel layer
- 300g dates (pitted)
- 2 tablespoon Water (use the water the dates were soaking in)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil (or any oil)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of milk or dairy free alt.
For the chocolate coating
- 175g dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
For the Marshmallow Ghosts
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 1/2 cups White Marshmallows
- Soak the dates in boiling water for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile blend the oats into a flour.
- Add the rolled Oats, banana, dates, maple syrup and milk for the base and combine. Line a square baking tin and flatten the mixture into the base. Place it in the freezer to set whilst you make the caramel layer.
- Next drain the dates and blend along with the coconut oil, vanilla extract, milk and water. Blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Pour this layer on top of the base and smooth out with a spoon. Place the tin back in the freezer for approx. 1 hour.
- For the next step you can have them all covered in chocolate or just a thin layer of chocolate at the top.
- Chocolate on top layer: Melt the chocolate in a bowl and combine with the coconut oil. Cover the top of the dates layer with a layer of chocolate and place in the freezer to set.
- Chocolate surrounding bar: Remove the mixture from the tin and slice it into bars. Dunk the bars into the melted chocolate and place back into the freezer.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water in a bowl and place it on a pot of boiling water to create a double boiler.
- Beat with a whisk for 8 minutes then add in the white marshmallows. Beat until melted.
- Beat while allowing to cool slightly then spoon the mixture into a piping bad.
- Gently create pear shaped droplets on the squares. If some frosting is out of place, allow to dry then lift it up with a small knife and push it into the side of the ghost figure or remove it.
- Using a small icing pen, draw 3 dots for the eyes and mouth of the ghost when the icing has set.